Thursday 19 March 2015
12pm – 5pm
Conference Centre – Hounslow Civic Centre, Lampton Park Conference Centre, Civic Centre Lampton Rd Hounslow, Greater London, TW3 4DN
Come along for an afternoon of learning and sharing about how data people across Hounslow work with every day can help solve difficult problems and open our eyes to brand new perspectives.
During this session, we will:
- Hear about inspiring speakers sharing their experience using open data to help provide better public services.
- Learn about the new tools and resources the council has available, as well as how they can support both people within the council and in the local community.
- Explore the challenges we encounter in our services or areas of interest, and work together to identify how open data can help to solve them.
Food and refreshments will be provided throughout the event. Further details will be sent out in advance.
12pm – 12.15pm Registration and welcome
12.15pm – 1pm – Lunchtime Launch
– Introduction by Dominic Campbell (Director, FutureGov)
– Barbara Munden (Head of Business Systems, London Borough of Hounslow)
– Jo Sage (Head of Intelligence Hub, London Borough of Hounslow)
– More speakers to be announced soon
1pm – 5pm – Discovery workshop
– What is open data?
– Showcase of data visualisations
– Activity 1: What data are you working with?
– Activity 2: Open data card game – Exploring Hounslow data
– Showcase of projects and visualisations based on activities
– Q&A and closing
What is open data?
Open data is data that’s available to everyone to access, use and share. This type of data is only useful if it’s shared in a standardised format and easily traced back to where it came from in ways that people can understand. Whether it’s about government spending, new scientific research or updates on public transport, open data is a powerful tool to encourage transparency and innovation.
Who is this event for?
This event is for London Borough of Hounslow Council officers, the council’s partners and members of the Hounslow community. In partnership with FutureGov, we have planned an afternoon of practical activities to support anyone who is interested to start working with open data.
The London Borough of Hounslow has been funded from the Breakthrough Fund (administered by the Department of Business Innovation and Skills, via the Local Government Association) to launch a cloud-based open data portal and to accelerate our programme of releasing open data sets (currently hosted on www.hounslow.gov.uk/opendata).
On 19th March 2015, we will launch DataShare, an accessible resource containing the datasets that the council publishes.
The event will be facilitated by FutureGov, a company with seven years of experience in working with local government to use digital and design to transform local public services. They have worked with 50 clients in the UK, US and Australia to support their thinking in terms of citizen engagement, customer service and organisational re-design. This includes a range of work on open data, delivering hackathons and supporting creative approaches to engagement.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact marc [at] wearefuturegov [dot] com
Do you have questions about Open Data Discovery Day? Contact London Borough of Hounslow