Cyclists from Hounslow Council geared up for August’s RideLondon event today as cycling fever starts to grip the capital with the Tour De France sweeping into town on Monday 7 July.
The cyclists – Brendon Walsh, Kieran Taylor, Richard Gill and Richard Hamilton, form part of a council contingent who will enter into two RideLondon races, which pass through Chiswick on 10 August.
Brendon, director of regeneration, economic development and environment, and who’s entering the Prudential RideLondon Surrey 100, said: “I’m really looking forward to London hosting the Tour De France next week. London is fast becoming the world’s cycling capital with the RideLondon event in August.
“As one of London’s best biking boroughs, Hounslow is entering a team like we did last year. And like the Council itself, we’ll strive for an even better performance this year.”
For those wanting to pedal at a more relaxed pace, the Council organises a programme of social rides around the borough and further afield, including one to take part in the Prudential FreeCycle event on 9 August.
FreeCycle will see central London closed to cars, allowing people to enjoy the sights at their own pace. To register your place on this, or any of those listed below, please call 020 8583 6000 or visit the Hounslow Travel Active website.
A women’s Bike Club also runs every Tuesday at 6pm in Lampton Park. All are welcome regardless of ability level. For details contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 07530711681.
- Sunday 6 Jul 10am Bedfont Lakes
- Saturday 12 Jul 1.45pm Chiswick Social Ride.
- Sunday 3 Aug 10am Hounslow Heath Ride (depart from 188 Brentford High St)
- Saturday 9 Aug 9.45am Ride London (depart from Market Place Brentford)
- Sunday 10 Aug 13.45 Ride to Richmond. (depart from 188 Brentford High St)
- Sunday 17 Aug 10am Osterley & Syon Park circular (depart from Richmond Lock)